Pages

Sunday 16 November 2014

DIY Apple outfit for a 2 year old.

I can safely say this is the project that did it for me. My first baby step on this crafting journey of mine. 

Three years ago, at Preschool my son had to dress up as his favourite fruit. Now who does not want to be the 'creative' mother of 'The Cutest Kid' in school on dress up day? This was the prime motivation. 

This was a fairly original idea. And I was pretty impressed with how it turned out. All I used was a big paper shopping bag and some inexpensive red and green felt paper from the local craft store.


This is what the finished product looked like:


Here is what you need:

- One large size thick paper bag. - Sufficient red felt paper to cover the whole bag - Bits of green felt paper to make leaves - Scissors  - School Glue

Now here's how to do it:

1. Make sure your kids are asleep. :)

2. Neatly trim the edge that holds the handle straps. We don't need this end.

3. Make a cut on either side of the bag till the base (This allows you to open up the bag and lay it flat).

4. Base/bottom of the bag is what eventually turns into the 2 shoulder straps.

5. Draw your apple. Top of the apple is towards the base of the bag, Remember to make the straps at least 2 inches wide. And there should be a sufficient round for your little one to slip his little head through. (Sorry no pictures here... :( )


6. Cut out the apple shape carefully so as not to damage the shoulder straps. 

7. Trace the shape of your apple on to the red felt and extra for the shoulder straps. Cut and stick. 

8. Cut leaf shape from the green felt paper and stick. 

9. Let dry

Now there is the apple of my eye!  

 


PS: If you feel that this is too flimsy, you could just cut out the apple shapes on large cardboards and fix shoulder straps. I did not have much time to plan this craft and I improvised as I went along. I did end up reinforcing mine.  





No comments:

Post a Comment